|Телеком||ТВ и медиа||Облака||ПО||Кадры|
|ИТ в образовании||ИТ в медицине||Big Data||E-commerce||Спутниковая связь|
|Все новости||World News|
Videocon to bid for Motorola's handsets division
|02 апреля 2008|
Indian conglomerate Videocon Group plans to make an offer for Motorola's handset business, according to comments made by the company's chairman Tuesday.
"We are sending [Motorola] an 'expression of interest' to buy their handset business. It is true that they have not called for bids, but we have information that Motorola is interested to sell off their handset division," said Venugopal Dhoot, chairman of Videocon, in a report by Dow Jones Newswires.
"We are in consumer durables, we are in retail and we also have mobile phone licences in India," he told Bloomberg, adding that a mobile phone vendor business would "complete the full chain."
Speaking to Total Telecom, sources at Videocon could neither confirm nor deny the reports.
Similarly, Motorola has not commented.
Motorola last week announced plans to spin off its struggling handset division amid pressure from billionaire activist investor Carl Icahn.
The vendor said it plans to create two separate businesses - Mobile Devices and Broadband & Mobility Solutions - in 2009, but did not mention an outright sale of the division.
Nonetheless, speculation has been rife that Moto's next step will be to sell off the unit.
However, when Motorola initially announced it was reviewing its strategic options regarding the troubled unit, rival handset makers Nokia, Samsung and LG were quick to distance themselves from the proposition that one of them would make a move for the business.
Meanwhile, Videocon has been making vast investments in its telecoms operations over the last month.
Its telecoms subsidiary Datacom was issued a GSM licence by the Indian government in mid-March and has since pledged to invest 60 billion rupees ($1.5 billion) in rolling out services across the country's 23 telecoms circles.
Furthermore, press reports two weeks ago said Datacom was lining up a $3.2 billion order for 40 million mobile phone lines to be delivered over the next five years.
The company said that Ericsson, Nokia Siemens Networks and Huawei were all in the running for the contract.
Источник: Total Telecom